Monday, January 17, 2011

Sunsets of Big Sur

Sunset over the Pacific. Big Sur, California.
Big Sur, California.  For those who know me, you may be aware that the past few months have been a difficult time for me, amongst the hardest points on my life.  But before the recent drama began to unfold in force, the wilds of Big Sur were my frequent refuge of the soul.  This magnificent stretch of coastline, and its adjacent Ventana Wilderness, represents some of the most beautiful and untainted landscape in the continental United States.

Rabbit crosses a fallen redwood
in Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park
Due to its close proximity to Monterey - with some hiking trails as short as a 15 minute car ride from downtown - this natural treasure has been my regular go to spot over the past two years for hiking, river swimming, natural history film and photography, writing, relaxation and reflection.  Luckily, fortune has also provided me with a good number of friends who find equal appreciation and fascination with this special place.  Most recently, I had visits from Rabbit Schaffer and Boca this past October and we took the opportunity to hit some trails, scramble up some river gorges and enjoy fantastic sunsets.

Here's a few photos from October.  I wish I was in Big Sur now.
McWay Falls, Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park
McWay Falls, Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park
Rabbit crosses the fallen redwood, Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park
Big Sur Sunset
Rabbit, Big Sur. October 2010
Arlo Hemphill, Big Sur. October 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment